Monday, January 6, 2014
Meatless Monday: Vegetable Curry
It's the new year. The gyms are full, organic vegetables fly off the shelves and people commit to goals that they've set for themselves; some attainable and others not. I am running a 5K at the end of the month and have told myself that for 21 days I would be the best version of myself that I could. This means cutting out alcohol, sugar, starches and most carbohydrates. Yams instead of potatoes and wild rice and quinoa instead of pasta. I read somewhere that your body needs 21 days to reset habits - meaning that in 21 days I won't crave the food that makes me bigger than I should be.
Reluctantly, my husband agreed to partake. Though I am sure he'll sneak a beer and a snack here and there I know that, even if he just tries to make it for 21 days, he'll feel awesome and he'll want to continue.
I never really cook unhealthy, I like to make everything from scratch, but I am going to make a concerted effort to eat clean and train, well, dirty.
I know that I passed some kind of test when my husband, a ruthless cauliflower hater, ate it with a smile and actually enjoyed it. So, from my kitchen to yours, here is a recipe that will make even picky eaters happy!
1 small head of cauliflower, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small yam, peeled and chopped into 1/4" cubes
1 vine ripened tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped sugar snap peas
5 cloves of garlic, diced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, diced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 can low-fat coconut milk
1 small can of tomato paste
2 tbsp curry
1 tbsp tumeric
1 tsp cardamom
3 tbsp sour cream or greek yogurt
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add dry rice. Bring back to a boil, turn the heat to low and cook covered for 56 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan add a dash of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook until soft. Add yam, cauliflower, pepper and peas. Cook until soft (about 15 minutes).
3. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, curry, turmeric, cardamom. Taste it, if it's not curry-enough add more. If you like heat add some pepper flakes, cayenne pepper or a hot pepper. If it gets too hot, add half and half or more sour cream.
4. Stir well so that all the ingredients are combined and cook on low for 40 mins.
5. Remove rice from heat and let stand for five minutes. Remove lid and stir.
6. Layer rice on the bottom of bowls, ladle veggie curry over the rice. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream (or greek yogurt) and chopped green onions.
Enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment