Wednesday, January 18, 2012

O, Canada?

OK, so I get that we have the reputation of being the snowiest, coldest place on the earth. No offence to my American friends, but a lot of you seem to think that there is some invisible polar ice cap along our border and that we live in a constant snow storm. I once met a woman in Florida, who had a degree from a reputable American university and when I explained to her that I was from Canada she said, "Europe, niiice". I repeated myself because surely this woman could not be THIS daft, "No, no, CAN-A-DA" judging by the look on her face, she had indeed heard me. I wasn't going to say it, but I HAD to...so I informed her that Canada wasn't in Europe, but that we share the continent with the USA and that we border the northern states. She nodded like she knew what I was saying and then said, "like above Alaska"...I bowed my head in defeat and nodded. On the subject, if you're American, I suggest you google "Rick Mercer: Talking to Americans" I am sorry to be the whistle blower, but when Rick Mercer can get a group of Americans to congratulate Canadians on getting a 24hour clock and electricity, you seriously start to worry about the fate of those to the South. Granted, there are A LOT of INCREDIBLY intelligent Americans and I hate to say it, a lot of THEIR Canadian stereotypes are spot on! My husband wears flannel, we have guns in the house and there is moose in my freezer and with our recent weather, our friends just built an igloo and we could actually USE a dogsled team right now...all I need is a toque, a double double and maple-smoked back bacon and I am your stereotypical Canadian (and PROUD of it!).

Back to the weather...
Seriously, I think that this is my husband's doing. He's been PRAYING for snow and we've got it. I three days, we have almost 2 feet of snow! I am from the WARMEST part of Canada, the lower mainland, the only records we're used to breaking are rainfall records. The wind has seriously picked up today too, with the windchill it is -24 degrees C....-24!!!! I have lived here all my life and I have NEVER seen it this cold. Prairie people needn't make fun of us either, because we're so close to the ocean there is SO much moisture in the air which makes it feel more like -30 - it's a fact that cold, wet air affects your body more than cold, dry air. My husband is in his glory, he actually is waking up EARLY for work just so that he can drive in the snow. My school has been closed for 2 days. The first day it SHOULD'VE been closed, got up early with Jordan so he could drive me in to school, he dropped me off and 15 mins later they closed my school. I was stranded. Had to wait for 2 hours for a cab, not impressed to get a ride somewhere to wait for Jordan until he's off at 4!! Yesterday I guess they finally figured it out and cancelled it...today it's open, so I'll try, but I am not risking my life for Organic Chemistry twice in one week!!

Google our weather, it's CRAZY right now!

Hope everyone is staying safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment