
So here's a post dedicated entirely to one of my favourite foods on the planet: greek salad!!! Greek salad is one of those simple recipes that make a great addition to any entrée, especially in the summer when these vegetable are readily (and cheaply) available!! The basic ingredients are;
- Long English Cucumber, Un-peeled (99% of the nutrients are in the skin)
- Peppers (Any mix of colour that you want! The yellow and orange ones are the sweeter of the bunch, but they're usually more expensive. Red peppers tend to be more frequently on sale, but plain green peppers work just as fine!)
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Kalamata Olives (optional...yes, optional)
Some people choose to add lettuce to this combination, feel free to add some if you want. Traditionally, greek salad doesn't include lettuce mainly because it will wilt once it's dressed and will not keep at all should you have extras.
The easiest assembly in the entire world goes to greek salad. Roughly chop all the vegetables and add them to one bowl.
The skinny on greek salad dressing
Traditional greek salad dressing is extra virgin olive oil and oregano. Although this combination is lovely, pure olive oil is an acquired taste. Should you choose to go this way, add equal parts oil and balsamic vinegar for a great tasting dressing. Unfortunately, my husband dislikes this kind of dressing so I buy greek salad dressing. I usually buy the Kraft greek feta, it also comes in a light option.
Bon Appétit.
That looks really good! I too love to cook with really fresh ingredients. I have been growing my own vegetables for 2 years now. And I love it! this year I added bell peppers to my garden.
ReplyDeletexx
callie