Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Red Cabbage Salad with Teriyaki Dressing


Cabbage is one of those vegetables that people tend to forget (unless you're maybe Ukrainian or Russian) which is a shame because it is sooo wonderful! Red cabbage is more nutrient dense than green cabbage, containing more phytonutrients and calcium. Some of the health benefits of red cabbage are;

- Red cabbage contains phytonutrients aid to increase the production of enzymes involved detoxification.
- Cabbage is a muscle builder, blood cleanser and eye strengthener.
- Cabbage is rich in iron and sulphur.
- Cabbage contains Sulforaphane, a substance that can increase the production of antioxidant detoxification enzymes.

For this recipe we will need

- Red Cabbage
- Mushrooms
- Carrots
- Green Onion
- Seasame Seeds, Toasted

Dressing
- 1 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil

1. Cut cabbage into thin strips.
2. Cut mushrooms in half, then cut into thin half strips.
3. Cut carrots into long thin sticks.
4. Finely chop green onion.
5. Combine vegetables and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

**Toasting Sesame Seeds: add raw sesame seeds to a small un-greased pan, cook on medium heat, tossing frequently until seeds are toasted. Careful not to burn.

a. In a separate small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients.
b. Whisk intensely or use a handheld emulsifier to emulsify dressing.

Dress & Serve.


Bon Appétit

2 comments:

  1. You have a blog! SO exciting! Why didn't you tell me?? Crazy girl. Well, can't say I'll be cooking with Moose anytime soon, but I will be using some of these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! Im getting pretty sick of FB, so I figured I'd start a blog and talk about what I really want to talk about!! Yay! Im glad you're going to try some of my recipes. Are there more recipes you need? I realize Moose and Deer aren't your thing, but I cook a lot with chicken and beef too!!

    ReplyDelete